Friday, April 30, 2010

Progress and Information

The Scientists:
The two clients I am designing labs for are Nicole Kuepper and Charles Darwin. I chose these two scientists because their work interests me the most. Also I thought that it would be interesting to design labs for scientists whose work was/is conducted over 100 years apart.

The Laboratories:
Nicole Kuepper - Her designs consists of a 'L' shaped upper laboratory that is supported by large rectangular prisms at the base. Because of her work I wanted to design a lab that exposed itself to vast amounts of sunlight that would enable her to conduct her research. I also wanted other large workspaces that would allow for group and collaborative work. There are a variety of different shaped and sized laboratories in the design.

Charles Darwin - I have based my design of Darwin's lab on his theories of evolution and my quote. His lab sits on a large cliff face and rises out of the water, climbing the cliff and finishing at the top. I wanted to create a design that seemed to 'evolve' from its origins at the bottom in the ocean to a much smaller and 'refined' section at the top of the cliff, much like his theories. 5 laboratories in total, 3 of them on different levels, and 2 sitting almost submerged in the water. A large stair case that links the labs together.

The Designs:
Nicole Kuepper -


Charles Darwin -

No comments:

Post a Comment